Jerry,

I don't regret selling my 756 PRO III, and replacing it with the K3 one
bit!

The K3 is a much more versatile rig.  Not as pretty as the old Pro III,
(not as large either, which is a plus), but I don't really care about
pretty, I care about performance, and I have an entire new layer of
stations I hear now, that I did not with the Pro III...

Also, there are so many ways to configure the radio you will be able to
configure it for what ever your needs are...  Here is a few examples...

The K3 allows for setting the TUNE output level.  I have an auto tuner.
That tuner needs less than 100 watts to trigger autotune.  I have an
ALS-1306 amp, I set the TUNE level on the K3 to be 3 watts.  That 3
watts drives the tuner via the ALS-1306 Amp with enough power from the
ALS-1306 to force the tuner into retune mode if above 1.7:1. Thus I get
the equivalent of a tuner connected to the radio TUNE button, and do so
without any extra cables...  Single button tuning of the AMP, and the
tuner, all in under 10 seconds.

Most settings are per band, so I configure things, for each band, and
mode, and when I return the configurations return for each band/mode...

I thought the P3 was just a frill, it is not...  I removed it for a bit
to test some radio control hardware I am working on, and almost lost my
mind without it, I did not have a picture of the band in my head anymore
without the P3...

So, no, I never looked back after selling the Pro III.  Prior to the
change over for me, I sat both rigs on the desk, and A/B compared them
for a week, using the exact same antennas, before I sold the Pro III, I
had expected to test for a month to make my decision, it took only a
week to decide.

I was ready and willing to sell the K3 if it was not significantly
better, I have the K3, and not the Icom now!

I have a ham 700 feet away from me, and when he runs his K3 and his KW
Henry amp, I can't tell he is on if I am 20 KHz away...  The PRO III
desensed on his signal, across the entire band, if he was on SSB, and I
wan on CW, I could see, and hear it...  So again, I am so very happy I
have the K3 I would never go back.  If you want to see exactly how wide
the is looking at at 2 watts from 700 feet away see:

http://nk7z.net/wiki/elecraft-k3-macros/elecraft-k3-xlr-to-radio/elecraft-k3-new-synthesizer/

I did a compare of the old and new Synthesizers, and as an aside, it
will show you just how tight the K3 really is in strong signal
conditions.

I have four hams within a half mile of me.  I really can't tell if they
are on, unless I get very close in frequency, (like under 10 KHz.), or
see them on the P3.

My only complaint about the rig is the dynamic range in the audio
section... If I have the AGC off, and one of my neighbors comes up
within my passband, my ears get nailed big time...  There needs to be an
audio limiter on my rig...

Macro programming is nice, you can pretty much do anything you want with
the rig via Macros...  I have macros that totally set up my rig based on
the mode I select via software.  If I select RTTY, using MixW, the
macros fires for MODE START, and the radio is switched into DATA/RTTY
mode, transmit levels levels set, monitor levels set, etc, all
automatic.  I almost never touch the radio now, but to tune, or adjust
RF/Audio levels.  When I switch to PSK the same thing happens only for
PSK.  So nope, I am happy as can be with the rig...  Have fun, I am with
my K3!

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net