Keith wrote:.

>The keyer in the rig is not quite what I'm used to ...

You may want to try setting the keyer for iambic mode A and then mode B to
see which one is more natural to you.  I personnaly abhor iambic mode B
keyers, but the K1 keyer can be set for either mode.  Its mode A keyer suits
me just fine.  Some rig makers like Yaesu are arrogant enough to provide
only mode B keyers on their rigs.  They'll never get a buy from me!

>I also did some listening tests, K1 vs. Omni V.  The K1 was noticeably
>quieter.

The K1 is very likely the best SA602-type design available.  A feature that
helps make the K1 receiver superior is its very clean LC local oscillator
(LO).  A raw DDS LO (as in a KX1 or DSW) compares unfavorably.

You have mentioned that the s-meter indication on your K1 is usually pegged.
Chapter 11 of the K1 manual describes the s-meter "cal" procedure, which
requires using the SIG menu to set the Lxx and Hx parameters.  It sounds
like yours needs calibration.

Admittedly, even when "calibrated" the s-meter is very rudimentary.  That
doesn't bother me.  I've seldom found s-meters to be of real value on any
rig I've ever used.

I've had my K1 for going on to six years.  If I lost it today, I'd have an
order in for another today.  As a portable power-conserving QRP rig, the K1
is definitely the best of its class, if RF preformance in the ham CW bands
is to be valued more than bells and whistles.

73,
Mike / KK5F
K1 #175