Tom,

This is pretty off-topic, but not all vendors/manufacturers operate like that. I had a Canon camera which had known problems so that I didn't use it much due to "the threat of failure was there every time I turned that radio[camera] ON". So I bought a new camera, a later Canon model, to replace it. Well I turned on the old one to compare the image quality (IQ), and it failed! Sent it to Canon and they fixed it (may have replaced) and I had it back in a week -- at no cost, even though it was out of warranty. Turns out it was a known manufacturing defect -- which the IC-7700 sounds like. End of story is that I preferred the old camera's IQ so returned the new one :-)

I wish more manufacturers operated that way. In ham radio, Elecraft is the one I am most confident would (but none of my Elecraft gear has ever failed, even better!).

73, Phil W7OX

On 9/13/15 8:01 AM, Chester Alderman wrote:
I certainly agree with Joe about Adam! I've never heard such prejudicial
explanations trying to justify Icom's innocence for final transistor
failures in the IC-7700's. He took all reports of final failures and said he
was going to forward them to Icom, but very few of us ever believed he
actually forwarded any information to Icom from IC-7700 users about the
failures. And IF did, there was never any response from Japan.
I sold my IC-7700, not because the finals failed, but because the threat of
failure was there every time I turned that radio ON.

73,
Tom - W4BQF

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Joe
Subich, W4TV
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 8:09 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 to IC-7800 Comparison?

On 9/13/2015 2:10 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
He seems quite genuine, no horses in the race, his objectives seem to
be the same as Rob Sherwood and my own -- to put mfrs feet to the fire
to improve the receive performance and signal quality of the stuff
they sell us. :)
Adam is an out an out Icom evangelist - not exactly unbiased.

An example is in the footnote for the Flex-6700, which has no
preselector for the range where he had to do his measurements, which
may have caused that radio to measure worse than it would on the ham
bands.
On the other hand Adam limits noise power for direct sampling SDR designs to
a lower level than used with traditional up/down conversion transceivers.
The lower noise power input gives the direct sampling designs an unfair
advantage be ignoring strong signal environments.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV