The original S meter development for HF radios was done by Art Collins. At that time the number used was 100 uV for S-9 to coincide with the RST system. Later the value was revised to 50 uV for S-9. Values above S - 9 are stated usually in dB although I've seen some in microvolts. If one ventures into the VHF spectrum then the value changes. {I forget to what value}

73
Bob, K4TAX