Bob,

Can you describe "noise burst" - is it more of a "tick", or if it is longer, what is the approximate duration. You will likely have to short the signal path at several points to isolate it. One such point is the input to the product detector - solder a jumper between pins 1 and 2 of T2. If it disappears, you will have to look further toward the antenna - jumper from the base of Q3 to ground (or between pins 3 and 4 of RP6). OTOH, if it is still present with the jumper across T2, the next jumper to install is between pins 2 and 3 of U3 (which should do the same as when the K1 is muted).

73,
Don W3FPR