From: "Rob Ogilvie" <r...@axpr.net>
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 12/29/2015 4:06:36 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] KX3 APRS and AX.25

Howdy!

I'm quite intrigued by what the KX3 can potentially do as an SDR, and am considering trying to get one. There are some downsides to the KX3 I've noted (price and lack of 70cm being two big ones), but the possibilities it
opens up are pretty awesome to imagine.

I've been playing around quite a bit with packet (AX.25 and APRS over 2m
thus far) and am having a hard time figuring out if the KX3 offers
advantages over a traditional transceiver's data port. They both /appear/
to require a TNC, although I'm not entirely sure if that's actually the
case with the KX3.

Is anybody doing 2m AX.25/APRS over their KX3 who could share some details
about their setup?  I'm really close to sticking with a simple VHF/UHF
mobile instead of the KX3 as packet is a majority of what I'm interested in right now; then upgrade to a KX3 when I have the time to get into HF - but if the KX3 offers true advantages in this space, I may get my forever radio
in a KX3 now...

Thoughts?

Rob / K8AXE

Message delivered to k3...@comcast.net