It used to be that you needed an AM filter for AM (6KHz bandwidth) and an FM filter for FM (c15KHz bandwidth). A while ago, a firmware update made it possible to transmit AM using the FM filter.

Because you can now run AM through the FM filter, there isn't a lot of use for it. If you run ESSB it may be useful for blocking nearby strong stations. It also may improve your AM signal or ESSB signal over using the FM filter, but I haven't seen any real tests of this possibility.

73 Bill AE6JV