Noise reduction is a difficult problem and hearing aid manufacturers have been trying to solve it for the last couple of decades.

One important point to note is that noise reduction is normally aimed at reducing subjective noise and therefore reducing fatigue. Generally what you are doing is actually recognising signal, then suppressing those frequencies that are not conveying the signal. The noise on the same frequencies as important parts of the signal still gets through.

You cannot remove noise unless you have first identified the signal, so you cannot remove the noise that is masking an unknown signal.

The simplest noise reduction is a narrow band CW filter! The ultimate noise reduction for CW would be to decode the signal, and regenerate it, but that is currently only possible for signals that are already clean an well formed.

Decode and recreate might be the ultimate solution for hearing aids, as well.

--
David Woolley
Owner K2 06123