Trees are quite strong. When we do demonstrations by breaking equipment during cave rescue classes, we use trees as anchors and a truck with an electric winch attached to one tree. Some of these things break at several thousand pounds force. (We measure the force with a load cell.)

The basics for tree anchors:

(1) Make sure the tree is alive and healthy.
(2) Wrap the tree with a tarp or heavy cloth to protect its bark from damage. (3) Then wrap it with 2" nylon webbing at least 3 times. Use a water knot to join the webbing. Leave the knot facing the load and pull the rest of the loops out to a carabiner or quick link rated for the expected load. This arrangement gives you a chance of being able to untie the know when you are finished. (2" tubular webbing is rated at 4000#. If you pull two loops, that is 4 strands and 16000#. Derate by 50% for knots, bends around carabiners etc and get 8000#.) (4) If you are breaking things, such as #8 copper wire, cover them with blankets to minimize the danger of having them snap through the air. (5) Keep everyone far enough away so flying wire won't hit them, or keep them in a closed vehicle.

73 Bill AE6JV