Is there an asterisk on the display of the KPA500? If there is, it
thinks it is in TX mode even if the rig is not in transmit. I had that
problem and it was a poorly soldered resistor on the front panel
board, but a shorted TX line (RCA cable) would do the same thing.
Elecraft replaced the board. You should not have an asterisk when you
switch to operate until you key the transmitter.

Hope this helps.

73,

Mark
W7MLG