All - I'm about to write a president's letter for our local club publication on learning CW, and this entire thread is a good source of ideas. Thank you.

Peter -

I learned 5 WPM in 1960 for my novice license, but never used it. I learned 5 WPM again in 2001 for my extra, but didn't start using it until 2013. TX5K is the first CW QSO in my log and W6SQQ is the 2nd QSO and first rag chew. My learning CW at age 70+ is definitely an example of old dogs and new tricks.

Now I am mostly operating in contests and chasing DX with about the same abilities as you have. I can use a straight key up to about 18-20 WPM, but I haven't gotten the timing right for a paddle. Most of my sending is from K3 memories or my contest logger.

My survival strategies are:

In contests I only search and pounce. I can hear the other op's call many times and get it right. I'm working on getting good enough to run.

With my 100W and wire antennas, I get a lot of chances to listen to DX stations handle other callers. It is good practice to try to decode the call signs they're working. (It also helps locate the caller in the pileup.)

I use the K3's decoder and display in the P3's SVGA. That keeps the decoded data from disappearing off the screen before I read it. (Note that the SVGA display can't be used if the computer is also reading the decoded data via the K3 utility or some other program.) The K3's decoding acts as a check on my head decoding.

If the DX is only rarely identifying, I see if I can find him on the QRZ.COM DX spotting network. It is a lot easier to verify a call sent faster than you can read than it is to copy it.

LS is absolutely correct (below). When you get to 20+ WPM, CW is no longer an encoding system. It is a language of its own and should be approached like any foreign language. The big win for contesting and DX is that the vocabulary is so small. For things like 5NN, TU, CQ, DE, TEST, UP etc., I don't even think of the letters. The CW sequence is a spoken word and understandable as such.

I'll keep hanging in there and hope you do too.

73 Bill AE6JV