And who gets to fix the radio, under warrantee of course, when this home brewed command line utility bricks the radio? Through this whole discussion I've heard very little from proponents of open sourcing the utilities on this minor little point. Telling isn't it.

This could be a profit center for Elecraft now that I think about it. If it were me, I'd charge $1,500 to fix any Elecraft product which has had it's brains blown out by some home brewed and unsupported flash utility.