That is the point yes.

I wasn't saying it wasn't.

Excuse my previous comments which came across as confrontational, they weren't
meant to be and my only excuse is lack of coffee ;-) I was merely outlining my
thoughts which may be in agreement with what has already been said by others.

I use the KX3 with external transverter for TX and an SDRPlay for receive.

The point is there are many ways to skin a cat, and we have excellent cheap SDR
receivers now which combined with any transmitter you have will accomplish what
we need for the existing LEO linear transponders.

Like Ed KL7UW, I also have an FT-736R which I picked up a few years ago when
nobody wanted them as they thought the FT-847 was a better radio because it was
newer.  The FT-736R has a much cleaner transmitter (can be improved further
with some simple mods), lacks a few important things like transmit inhibit for
use with sequencers, and has a poor 435 MHz receiver in terms of strong signal
handling. The 23cm modules are like rocking horse s**t to find though :-( but
despite all that I am hanging on to mine as a backup rig and occasional
satellite use.

First we need the sats, and until then the manufacturers are not going to pull
the trigger on an all in one VHF/UHF satellite box I fear. So the easiest
option -now- for many who want to get their feet wet is a cheap wideband SDR
receiver combined with any multi mode transmitter old or new.

Many of the young new hams who are going to be interested in cube sats just
don't have much money to spend unlike the relatively rich retired hams on this
list, myself included. They will go for new technology which they can put
together themselves, SDR dongles, Raspberry Pi, Etc. At a fraction of the cost
of the cheapest all in one duplex box. They are the future of the hobby, and
will have entirely different ideas than we old timers. This is a good thing.

Similar things happened with the pacsats where many used old CB transceivers as
their IF for Transverters to get PSK or FSK modems going for store and forward
sats. Experimentation with cheap gear repurposed was the order of the day for
many.

The Icom 7300 with built in touch panoramic display points the way forward for
all manufacturers, in a couple of generations we will have higher frequency
versions with multiple receivers. If the 7300 had transverter facilities I
might even have tried one, the price is right I feel.  But I have no interest
in a radio that only goes up to 70 MHz. I never operate below 50 MHz.

I still love the KX3 which is my main transceiver for VHF, using an external
transverter on 2m, building one for 70cm, and just bought a used 4m internal
transverter for it which should do me for now. It isn't ideal as Elecraft
didn't put in a transverter socket, but there are ways round it, a lot of
switch boxes are required to route audio on receive and transmit for digital
and SSB, and a frequency decoder on the RS-232 is needed to route RF and PTT
send to the appropriate transverter.

Perhaps a future KX4 might be less of a field radio and more of a shack radio
so that less clutter is needed in the shack.

I didn't go for a K3 or K3S as the KX3 does nearly everything I need and I feel
that a new generation SDR radio must be coming along, so I will wait and see
what happens.

73 from David GM4JJJ