[CCing Ron since he does documentation for Elecraft.]

I had similar problems when I installed the RefLock option in my K3 with the new synth. If you have the new synth, use the cabling diagrams from the new synth installation manual <http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740257%20KSYN3A%20Installation%20Rev%20A5.pdf> see pages 15 and 16. As far as I can tell, the installation manual for the RefLock hasn't been updated for the new synth.

I also think the the firmware "enable" option does not check for signal on the RefLock input before signaling that the option is enabled.

73 Bill AE6JV