Richard,

After a big search through my old documentation I have found all my design
notes on the power supplies I built, I still have the Fairchild voltage
regulator application handbook that I consulted at the time. Like you, I needed
to build this supply for my first solid state high power equipment and  I still
use it to this day. The smoothing electrolytics are 2 large 31,000 uF military
standard capacitors which were used in battlefield computers.

The short circuit protection of the 25 Amp power supply appears to be something
that I "designed" as it doesn't appear in the handbook in the form I used.
Basically it uses a transistor that senses the output voltage dropping (as it
would with a short circuit on the output) and this then triggers a small SCR
which pulls the 723 compensation pin low which makes the 723 output voltage
stop. This will remain like that until the short circuit is removed and the
current through the SCR is broken by manually pushing a NC switch in series
with the SCR. It works well, I have used it to zap NICADS that have gone short
circuit! It just gives a brief pulse of high current and trips the supply, no
fuse blowing etc.

Overvoltage protection is even cruder, it is a standard Crowbar circuit with
very big 40 amp SCR and 16 V zener to sense. This will blow a 20 Amp fuse in
the raw supply. It has never been used in anger, though I did test it with a
smaller fuse. It is there only to protect against either a shorted pass
transistor or some fault with the regulator circuitry.  Of course having a good
current limit circuit with short circuit protection makes the likelihood of a
series pass transistor failing short circuit more unlikely.

My design has 4 2N3055's in parallel (with low value resistors in the emitters
to help share the current equally) driven by another 3055, the current sense
resistor is in the base drive of the output series pass transistors.

I have over temperature protection of the transformer with a bimetallic switch
but that has never tripped.

I do have a soft start circuit on the primary using an AC relay and some high
wattage resistors.

I avoided using fans by using large heatsinks as fans are a source of failure
over time. [I recall a commercial 5V 80 amp supply cooling fan failing at
night, the supply shutting down for over temperature then coming back on again,
rinse and repeat, until nearly every IC in a multimillion $ machine was
damaged.]

Like so many projects this was developed from earlier projects, starting with a
simple single transistor 3A PSU, then an 8A using more transistors, and finally
the 25A supply with much more in the way of protection from likely fault
conditions.

I am not sure I could source the mains transformer or smoothing capacitors so
easily nowadays if I wanted to build another one, as nearly all new designs are
high efficiency switched mode supplies.

I think it best if anyone else wants more details that they take this off the
list and contact me directly as we are well over the limit on postings on this
subject.

73 from David GM4JJJ