We have used both the 1 Kw & 2 kw Honda inverters for field day and had only a tiny bit of RFI. They were both very quiet (RFI & sound wise) compared to the 5 kW "construction" generator we used years ago.

IMHO - I'd try the Harbor Freight unit. It is 1/3 the price of a Honda and H.F. has a good return policy (at least in Georgia). At worst you would spend a few hours evaluating the unit. I have no idea who actually makes the Predator unit. Several companies make units that all look extremely similar to each other except for color & name plate.

There are 2 main sources of RFI from an inverter type unit.
First is the spark-gap transmitter used to ignite the fuel/air mixture. We believed that was the noise we heard from the Hondas, since it changed as the engine speed changed. Don't get me wrong - the noise was heard but not enough to lose any contacts. No one complained or asked to not use the Hondas in later years. The second source would be the inverter itself. I'd guess that will depend on the type of inverter and care they take in filtering the AC output.

I rate Harbor Freight as a cost effective alternative, similar to MFJ. Sometimes you don't
I do have Elecraft radios because I thought it wise to spend what they cost.

73
George

AI4VZ>>I am thinking of buying the Predator Inverter Generator that Harbor Freight sells. Does anybody out
there has had any experience with it while using it to power a radio?