I concur, and suggest another path for those who have a strong need for 0.01
second accuracy of their rig’s clock.

There are Arduino GPS shields available for $40 and less.  If one were so
inclined, it would seem feasible to use an Arduino with GPS shield connected to
the serial port of the rig; you could even build a pass-through connector sot
that other serial devices could be connected.

Lew N6LEW

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 2:03 PM, Edward R Cole <kl...@acsalaska.net> wrote:
>
> I think this topic is a little over the edge.
>
> Do ALL radios have clocks, even??  My 1950's HQ100C had a clock which was
> option C in the model number.  It was an electric clock.  Do I wish the K3
> clock kept better time?  Yes, but its not something I'm going to bother
> Elecraft about.
>
> Accurate time is required for some digital modes but they run in a computer
> so that is where accurate time is needed.  Several sources of atomic quality
> time are available from the Internet.
>
> But if you are off the grid then some other time std is needed.  GPS time is
> probably the answer.  I bought a GPS with USB dongle for under $50 dollars
> which there is software to update the computer time.
>
> Now a utility on my computer with access to accurate time that could be
> downloaded to my K3 once per day or once per week would be nice.  It could
> elicit the K3 Utility program to connect and update the K3 clock,
> automatically.  No change to the K3 clock hardware would be needed.
>
> I assume this not rocket science for all you computer whizzes.  I'm not
> suggesting Elecraft take this on - somebody else.  Surely the K3 utility is
> not that hard a nut to crack?
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
> http://www.kl7uw.com
>    "Kits made by KL7UW"
> Dubus Mag business:
>    dubus...@gmail.com

> Message delivered to l...@n6lew.us

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10 / KXV144 / XV432
Yaesu FT-7800
l...@n6lew.us
www.n6lew.us

Generalized Law of Entropy: Sooner or later, everything that has been put
together will fall apart.