      From: Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz>
 To: 'Brendon Whateley' <bren...@whateley.com>
Cc: 'Elecraft Reflector Reflector' <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 11:49 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Sync AM and checking VFO accuracy using WWV

The methods described by Wayne in the K3 or K3S Owner's manuals are
excellent.

I used Method 2 (comparing to WWV's carrier frequency) and easily achieve
less than 1 Hz accuracy. If one needs something in the tenth's of a Hz or
better then more exotic techniques are required (and likely the K3EXREF and
an external frequency reference).

NOTE: When using Method 2 with WWV, wait until the tones stop and only the
ticks are transmitted, then check to be sure you are still "zero beat". Some
ops get confused between the tones and carrier and end up several hundred Hz
off because they zero-beated the tone instead.

For SSB/CW/RTTY modes accuracy to within some tens of Hz is fine. AM is even
less sensitive.

73 Ron AC7AC