      From: Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com>
 To: Richard Fjeld <rpfj...@outlook.com>; "elecraft@mailman.qth.net"
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:05 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Small QRP antenna

Dick,

With buried radials, they do not have to be 1/4 wave long, and a single
one will probably not make much difference over your ground rod.
What you want to accomplish is a "ground screen", which means many short
(about 1/8 wavelength) close to the base of the radiator and a few
extending out further (to 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength).

Ground conductivity plays a great part in buried radials, and what you
are trying to accomplish is to increase the ground conductivity in the
area at the base of the antenna.

If you were instead using elevated radials, they would have to be
resonant - think of the various "ground plane" antennas that have been
published - 1/4 wave radiator plus 2 or 4 1/4 wave radials.
Buried radials do not have to be resonant, elevated radials must be
resonant.  The ground effects will alter the resonance of buried radials
while radials in the air are a part of the total antenna resonance.

73,
Don W3FPR

Message delivered to farrerfo...@yahoo.com