If you end up still wanting to get a frequency counter and want to spend a
few bucks, I would keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on an HP 5385A or
something similar on fleaBay, don't mess with the sub $100 cheap ones.
Then get a 10mhz GPSDO reference like the Leo Bodnar GPSDO
<http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=234>...
setup a simple GPS antenna outside your shack and then finalize the setup
with the K3EXREF.  Then distribute the 10mhz signal from the GPSDO to your
Frequency Counter and your K3.  You then end up with a lab grade accurate
frequency counter and you never need to worry about the K3 accuracy ever
again.   Then run out and get a frequency generator because you spent
several hundred bucks on the above setup and because the XG3 is just to
practical and simple... look for an HP 8656B or something similar and use
your GPSDO as a reference for that.  Oh and then you might want to get an
HP power meter like a E4418A and sensors to check the accuracy of the
frequency generator. (sensors at $150-$400 a pop) :)  Oh, and then if you
have a PPS output from your GPSDO you can setup your own Raspberry PI or
Odroid Stratum 1 NTPD server and have a NTP clock reference that is
accurate into the potentially nano second range to sync your PC clocks
against.  (all just because you can ... lol!)

Of course, I agree with the other posts... it's crazy simple to zero beat
with WWV and or switch back and forth between the CW side bands to zero
your REFCAL setting on the K3.  And it's free too. ;)  But some of us like
buying and tinkering with this stuff.  I'm guilty as accused.

Max NG7M

--
M. George