Open up a terminal window and type:
ls -l /dev/tty.usb*
You should see something like this: (the serial number will differ)
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   19,   0 Feb 25 13:13 /dev/tty.usbserial-A567JW3P

If you're seeing that, then you should then be able tobring up the K3 Utility
and "talk" to the K3. I just installedmy KIO3B about a month ago, and I'm
running MacOS Sierra 10.12.3on a early 2015 13" Retina MacBook Pro. Under my
"System Report",I see my USB disk (used for Time Machine) and the built-in
BluetoothController plugged into the "USB 3.0 Bus", and then below that, Isee a
"General Purpose USB Hub" as the next item plugged into the 3.0bus, and
attached to the GP bus, I have a USB Audio CODEC and anFT232R USB UART.
The CODEC is a TI device and it's reporting that 500mA is availableto it, and
it's requiring 0mA. The FTDI FT232R UART is likewisereporting 500mA available
to it, and it's drawing 90mA. Since the"hub" is inside the KIO3B and being
powered by it, it should notbe causing the USB power complaint you're getting
on the Mini. BUT,since the Mini is an older device, it is probably USB2, not
USB3,and can't source as much current, etc., and its circuitry *may* besomewhat
intolerant of sudden changes. (I've had problems with blowingexternally powered
USB2 hubs, apparently caused by hot un/plugging,resulting in MacOS reporting
devices seen that Parallels and Windowswould/could not talk to. I've now
switched to the KIO3B and I'm notgoing to do any hot un/plugging, just to be on
the safe side.)
In fact, you might want to see if you can troubleshoot your problemby shutting
everything down and powering it all down, configuring yourcabling, and then
powering it all back up and booting it up. I knowit sounds like a nuisance, but
it may give you a valuable indication.
HTH, and 73,
Bayard R. "Brandy" Coolidge, N1HO