I recently sold my legal limit tube amp after a bit of a mental struggle.
The seller in me finally won after I realized that "if I can't lift it, I
shouldn't own it". I was tempted to replace it with an ALS-1306, but I
operate RTTY and in that mode the 1306 wouldn't be good for more output than
a KPA500. Today I received my (new to me) KPA500. However, in a contest
someone with 1500 Watts will have a big advantage over my 500 W, so the
subject of higher power may soon come back to me. With the competion today
in solid state linears, I have to believe that Electraft will in the future
offer a bigger linear. To me it would be sad if the new Elecraft amplifier
were a lot heavier than the KPA500. I am a fan of linear supplies, but I
would have to hope that the bigger Elecraft amp would use a switching
supply, located in a separate box. In the meantime, I am set up with two
radios (both K3) and only one amp. For SO2R one would want an amp on each
radio. With two KPA500's one would have two radios with 500 W each, and when
that little extra is needed, one could run both amp's in parallel from a
single radio. Liftability would be very good! I know that is not a new idea,
but implementing it seems a little messy. Might Elecraft consider offering
special cabling and firmware to allow operation with the two amp's in
parallel be as slick as running the single amp? Even slicker would be the
ability to go back to one amp per radio, without any change in cabling.

73,

Erik K7TV