I will check the temperature while operating next time.

I would like an opinion, however, on whether PSK31 is also defined as a
"high duty cycle" mode because I can and often do camp out on PSK31 all day
(and that means either in a QSO or calling CQ with the repeat function in
DM780 set to every 30 seconds) and it doesn't make the KX3 flinch.

By the way, a subjective assessment of the heat sink temp is that in all
digital modes the heat sink is warm to the touch, but only warm like "phone
in your pocket" warm.   It doesn't approach an uncomfortable level at ALL.