Frankly going to the higher power is really a engineering what if and looking
at the new higher power devices rather than doubling up the 500.  IMHO
Mel, K6KBE

      From: "j...@kk9a.com" <j...@kk9a.com>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:13 PM
 Subject: [Elecraft] Amp Thoughts: 1000 watts or 1500 watts?

There are various circumstances and 1.76dB may or may not be important.
Much depends on your interests and goals.

I am curious how you combined two KPA500's. The commercial combiners that
I have seen are extremely expensive and are not set up for the KPA500
automatic band switching. Perhaps an Elecraft KPA combiner would would be
a good option?

John KK9A

from: Richard Thorne rthorne at rthorne.net
Thu Mar 30 12:31:48 EDT 2017

I have a pair of KPA-500's for an SO2R setup.  Seamless.

I've been running the numbers on the advantage of going to 1000 or 1500
watts.

500 watts to 1000 watts - 3.01 db gain
500 watts to 1500 watts - 4.77 db gain

Will the increase from 1000 to 1500 watts or a 1.76 db increase in
gain,  make a difference? I'm sure it would in some circumstances, but
how often?

I'm just starting on my quest to increase my dxcc totals on 80 and 160,
so maybe that 1.76 db would be the difference between a having a qso or
not having a qso.

What are the thoughts of the serious low band guys?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC

Message delivered to farrerfo...@yahoo.com