If you are using Thunderbird, I believe the best way is to request the digest in MIME Digest mode. As well as allowing you to page through the digest, it also allows you to treat the individual messages as attachments, so you can open up the specific message and reply to it. That way, you get the correct subject, and, more subtly, you get the correct In-Reply-To header, so that forums and good mail clients can properly place the reply in the thread.

That's how I do all replies to this list.

(Note Thunderbird does have some bugs, e.g. I had to delete a redundant "Re:" from the subject. It can also be a little fiddly working out which instance of the subject is the correct one in the attachments.)

Unfortunately, the top posting policy of the list reduces the incentive to trim posts, meaning people who do end up quoting the digest don't think about pruning it. Failing to prune is also bad for readers of the digest, as they have to page over the complete back thread.

This has been top-posted, but also pruned, as it would be for an interleaved posting (popularly called bottom posting, although not everything need be at the bottom).