I'd never really thought about the colour, but I think it is basically the natural colour of the combination of liquid crystal and polariser. It's not the narrowband green that you would get with a green LED.

Especially if you add in the fact that white "LED"s are really narrow band blue LEDs with broadband yellow phosphors, so are not peaking in the green, natural variations in colour vision, or colour vision defects, could easily cause the colour to be treated as a yellowish amber, rather than a reddish green.

I would have thought using green LEDs would have been a more efficient use of precious milliamps.

The display is just a seven segment array and has a manufacturer's part number, although it is possible it is end of line. I don't think it is custom, or at least not at the time of the original design.

The real problems with making the change are that the LED's are integrated into the diffuser and the diffuser is behind the, unsocketed, display. I doubt you could change the colour, except before the first build, without destroying the LCD panel. It is also possible that the diffuser assembly is difficult to source; there is no manufacturer's part number for that.

--
David Woolley K2 06123