Good question Don,  Check out on this.  If the sending station is tuned in to a
zero beat that is I match my K3 frequency to his, then turn on the RIT to get a
pitch I like. Doesn't that make my Tx signal the same as his?
Mel, K6KBE

      From: Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com>
 To: Mel Farrer <farrerfo...@yahoo.com>; "r...@aol.com" <r...@aol.com>;
"elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Sunday, April 9, 2017 3:46 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 slightly off frequency

Mel and all,

If you are talking about CW, then using RIT is a sure way to get the
actual received frequency different than the transmitted frequency.  In
fact, that is one easy way to define RIT.
During RX, the K3 will show the actual frequency (at your chosen
sidetone pitch) that you are listening to.
But if you have RIT or XIT turned on, the transmit frequency will be
different than the receive frequency.

Hopefully your perception of "zerobeat" means that you have tuned the
signal until the tone is equal to your sidetone pitch (SPOT) and not an
attempt to tune to zero frequency (which is incorrect and will produce
'strange' frequency readings).

73,
Don W3FPR