Gary Surrency must be the most patient person on the earth. He just emailed me twice within 1/2 hour of my questions.

I can now report that I HAVE LCD READOUT!

I had to replace all electrolytics on the Control Board to find my error. I found that I soldered C45 (on the bottom of the board) across pads of U6 instead of U8. I missed it on several rechecks because it was new and not listed on parts placement diagrams in the back of the manual.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far...Don Wilhelm comes to mind.

Also, thanks to N0SS for pix of circuit boards.

Now, I have a question (of course).
My first resolder job was C13 on Control Board was, naturally, the worst. On replacing the cap, I note that the pad is damaged on the negative lead. I soldered over to an undamaged part (I hope successfully).

My question: is the negative lead supposed to be directly to ground? (perhaps soldered on the top of the board) I get about a meg of resistance between the lead and ground.
Is this a problem?

Now to build the RF probe.

By the way, I am now a ham again ... after a hiatus of over 30 years. I just passed levels 1 thru 4 in one sitting over the weekend. I didn't expect to pass the Extra but I studied like hell. The ARRL books are fantastic. Couldn't have done it w/o them.

So, I'll be able to use a new call sign within a few weeks!

John