      From: Michael Walker <va...@portcredit.net>
 To: Harry Yingst <hlyin...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Friday, May 5, 2017 8:06 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Remoting the KPA500 & KAT500?

Hi Harry
You have 2 ways to do this and extending USB is not the best choice if it would
work at all.
Depending on how far the run is, it might be able to do it via RS232 (from your
USB connector) direct into back of devices.  While the spec for RS232 is about
20ft or less, I currently run RS232 over 120' at 9600 baud.  That is fast
enough for these devices.  You don't need to go to 38,400 baud as that will
limit your cable length.
This is what I do on my remote base for my Steppir and Rotator control and the
tower is 120ft away from the computers.  I don't use any tuners, as that is one
less thing to worry about.  None of my equipment is heated and I have seen it
work down to -30C without issue.
Your other option is to run a LAN cable and use RS232 over IP adapters such as
https://www.amazon.com/USR-TCP232-306-Serial-Ethernet-Converter-RS232/dp/B01MXWACF3/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1493985728&sr=8-8&keywords=rs232+lan.
  The guys are RS485.com have some cool stuff as well.  www.rs485.com
You run some software in your computer that will run the Elecraft software.
From Elecrafts perspective, it looks like a normal serial port.  On the other
end the KPA500 plugs into the device above.
One last option is to use RS422 boxes that extend RS232 for miles.
Don't forget, you will need good AC power installed.  If you can, I would
recommend using 220V and not 115V as that will limit your voltage drop.
I hope that helps
Mike va3mw