Using a pad would be bad design, as simply increasing the level of negative feedback would help reduce distortion. The only way one could achieve a repeatable gain close to 15dB would be with negative feedback.

Moreover, I assume it is an FCC condition that modification by the end not be easy. You can assume that CB users wanting to use illegal powers have access to soldering irons.

Also, I would assume that the design gain is actually less than 15dB, to allow for component tolerances.

--
David Woolley K2 06123