I have a mmcHF SDR QRP radio where the firmware is Open Source.

In the beginning the original developer of the radio had his firmware and
worked on it then
another basically took over for him and now there is a group of developers
working on the code.

You can load the original firmware, or the latest, or even load up the daily
build to be on very edge.

Open source tends to allows a much larger pool of talent to look at the code
and enhance it.
Additionally bug fixes also tend to get fixed a bit quicker since you have a
number of eyes
looking at the code and that tends to allows the spotting of a solution quicker.

But as others have stated, Elecraft's code is Closed Source. I can understand
them keeping it closed
source because the radio is basically a consumer product with not a lot of room
for experimentation.

Elecraft is in a bit of a Catch 22 because yes with open source they could get
the benefits from it
But it could also equate to more "warranty" work for Elecraft when someone
messes up their radio.

I have a K3 for my "Nice Radio" and then I have other radios that I mod and
play with.