As the principle designer of the K1, I just love these AGC circuitry discussions, and thought I'd better put in my 2.5 cents.

The K1's present AGC circuit, being AF-derived, is a compromise between attack time and recovery time. This topic has been the subject of scholarly efforts by Haward, DeMaw, and others, so I'll just summarize by saying that the slow rise time of an AF-derived signal limits how quickly you can respond to a large signal using a simple diode detector. Nearly all low-cost QRP transceivers that have AGC at all use this technique, including all of the ones I've designed (KX1, Sierra, NC40, SST).

DSP can be used to emulate a faster response using various techniques, including post-processing of the signal as it propagates through the DSP's pipeline. But assuming one wants faster AGC without having to write DSP code, a relatively simple hardware-based improvement is possible. Actually implementing it is left to the reader, and here's what you need to know.

If you look closely at the K2 Control board schematic, you'll see that the K2's fast AGC is obtained using an "auxiliary" I.F. of around 150 kHz. This is 100 times higher in frequency than the audio signal that the K1 uses to drive its AGC detector, eliminating the rise-time problem. The same technique could be used in the K1. You could start with the K2's AGC circuit (mixer, amplifier, and detector), perhaps breadboarding it on a proto board. You could pick off the 4.915 MHz I.F. signal from the output of the K1's crystal filter, routing this to another '602/'612 that has its oscillator running at 5.068 MHz (a common crystal frequency). As in the K2, you'd then need to amplify and detect just the 150-kHz difference product coming out of the mixer. Various circuit simplifications may be possible relative to the K2's circuit, which also includes manual RF gain control, T/R swiching, and AGC on/off control.

An important subtlety: optimal results might require gain-controlling the auxiliary I.F. mixer at pin 2, using the same derived AGC signal that drives pin 2 of the K1's RX mixer and product detector. This would ensure that the aux I.F. mixer's gain is scaled downward at the same rate as the product detector as signal voltage goes up. This was not necessary in the K2 case, because the I.F. amp (MC1350) is the only gain-controlled stage, and it is ahead of the auxiliary I.F. mixer.

If anyone tries this and succeeds in creating very fast AGC for the K1, we'd be happy to publish it as an application note on the web site. Who knows? It might even make a nice little option module. The entire circuit, if done using SMD parts, could fit on a board placed underneath the K1's RF board.

I'd do it myself, but I'm a bit busy  :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---