Some KX1s have slightly lower transmitter output than others. When using a 14V supply, the output may be as low as 2.5 to 3 watts across all bands instead of the expected 3 to 4 watts. When using the internal battery the output maybe as low as 0.75 to 1 watt instead of he expected 1 to 1.5 watts.

Some builders have noticed this effect only after installing the KXB3080 option (30/80 meter module). The low-pass filter module supplied with the KXB3080 has slightly different characteristics from the original, which is necessary to obtain coverage of all four bands.

If you think your KX1's output is on the low side, for whatever reason, you can order our model #KX1PWRMODKT at no charge. It's listed at the bottom of our Parts and Mod Kits page:

   http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm

The mod kit provides two resistors and instructions, and the change is easy to make. If you have your own stash of resistors, you can just download the application note at:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/ E740099%20KX1%20Application%20Note%20Rev%20A.pdf

NOTE: We don't recommend making the change if your KX1 already puts out 4 watts or more on some bands. While it's generally safe to operate the KX1 at 5 watts, the design was optimized at the 4-watt level to provide plenty of safety margin in terms of RFI, current drain, and heat sinking via the top cover.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---