You should tighten the screws after extending the legs. Get them tight.

Never fold the legs without loosening the thumb screws first!  One leg will
tighten more if don't loosen the screws first.

This problem could have been eliminated if they had use a left hand thread on
one of the legs. But, this would have been quite confusing go a lot of people
especially trying to replace the screws after changing battery.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill