I just got my radio finished, and right off of the bat I got the same 300 -
400hz readings as Stephanie Maks did on hers.

I read through her messages and will follow the advice that was suggested
(tomorrow, it's almost 4am here), but I'd like to post what we observed in case
it isn't the crystal (and it looks like it isn't).

Firing up the K2 and going into "CAL FCTR" gives me a frequency of about 300 to
400 hz.
Pressing the BAND - pushbutton results in a frequency of 12083hz.
Pressing the BAND + gives me the 300 to 400hz reading again.

Looking at the signal with the scope shows noise at about the half volt level.

Taking readings with an ohmmeter showed good reading as far as I could tell.

Reading continuity across the crystal didn't show any shorts.

With the display was showing 12khz, the voltage reading at C100 read ~ .2 volts.
With  the display was showing 300-400hz, the voltage reading at C100 read ~ 7.6
volts. (which seems a tad high).

I'll do the tests that have already been recommended here, but maybe this will
help someone zero in on what's going on with my rig.

Thanks,

John Waalkes