Hi folks,

Glad to see the interest in 6m, it is an amazing band when it opens even
outside sunspot maximum.  Multihop Sporadic E can give DX right across the
Atlantic and beyond.

There is a "DX Window" between 50.100 and 50.125 MHz. (see ARRL Bandplan)  That
means it is reserved by mutual agreements for intercontinental DX contacts. You
might not hear anything there and think it is clear, but there are many
worldwide DX stations monitoring that quiet window for other fleeting weak DX
stations half way around the world and that can be spoilt by local stations
using it.

The ARRL bandplan mentions 50.100 to 125 for the DX window but there is a move
to try and extend it to 130 and move Domestic SSB contacts to 200.

Some helpful advice at

http://www.qsl.net/n1irz/sixmeter.html

The JT65 community are using 5O.276 and it is very crowded during openings as
well as very S L O W. So when signals are strong enough it is usually much
faster to shift to CW or SSB.

Also meteor scatter takes place using MSK144 with 15 sec periods on 50.280 at
any time, inside and outside of meteor showers.

With all of the new digital modes there are constant changes to operating modes
and frequencies and some attempts at getting consensus on faster modes like
JT9H FAST to suit transatlantic multihop Es better.

See bottom of page at

https://www.qrz.com/db/VE1SKY

As with any band that you are new to, or haven't used for a while, it is a good
idea to do a bit of reading about operating frequencies, i.e. Bandplans and
listen first to find out what the protocols are before transmitting.

I had a ball on Sunday working CW across to the east coast USA and heard the
left coast on JT65 and Japan in the morning a couple of days earlier.

See you on the magic band! - 6m

73 from David GM4JJJ