Ian,

I don't have any suggestions for a solution beyond what others have already
mentioned, but as a side note I would like to discuss the concept of "off
frequency".

It seems to me that these days, on the HF bands that I frequent, more and
more people tune SSB to where the displayed frequency is on an 500 Hz
boundary, and their rigs have sufficient frequency accuracy that excellent
copyability results without any further adjustment. This approach is much
faster than tuning by listening for most natural voice, which for me takes a
few moments. When I look over the shoulder of operators at Field Day, a
surprising percentage of people take a long time trying to tune for natural
voice, and still don't end up even close to correct tuning, so they should
be helped even more by just "going for the zeroes". While I haven't used 6m
recently, I would guess that the "zeroes" approach has become common there,
although the average rig may not be as frequency-accurate there as it would
be on the lower bands. Further to how to tune in other stations quickly, I
just found another way to minimize SSB tuning time when scanning the bands.
I configured the K3 to use the RIT knob to act as a coarse tuning knob
(CONFIG: VFO OFS), with 500 Hz steps (CONFIG: VFO CRS). I also set the main
tuning knob to a 500 Hz boundary. After setting things up this way, I use
the P3 with a span of +- 25 kHz to identify the next SSB station up or down
the band, then turn the RIT knob to put the passband over it. That puts me
close enough that only one more 500 Hz step will tune to perfect voice
clarity, and many times I will be tuned perfectly with no adjustment at all.
Much, much faster than cranking the VFO knob, first to approximate frequency
and then fine adjustment by listening. Occasionally it happens that the
station is not on a 500 Hz boundary, and I have to turn on RIT and fine
adjust by the RIT knob. Then I will usually soon hear that the station
saying that he is using an older rig. That is becoming rather rare, though.
After I am finished listening to the "off frequency" station, I just turn
off the RIT, and the RIT knob lets me tune in the next station quickly using
500 Hz steps, while leaving the main tuning knob alone. Now tuning SSB
stations is a bit like tuning FM "channels". I am not advocating
"channelizing" the HF bands, as we should have the freedom to select our
frequenciy according to the situation, but a lot of times, using a frequency
ending in zeroes saves time and effort.

73,
Erik K7TV