I learned morse by copying from 78 rpm phongraph records, gradually
increasing the speed, but I believe modern methods based of Farnsworth are
far superior.

My club asked me to think about how the club could conduct cw training. I
searched for resources online, and was very impressed when I found the cwops
program some time ago. Students must participate in a series of lessons
where they each both receive and transmit, always at 20 wpm, but with extra
space between characters a la Farnsworth. 3 courses are conducted each year,
via Skype, with students from around the globe. You can easily find that out
online, but here is some additional detail. I asked cwops if they would let
me teach their curriculum locally to our club members, with a time schedule
of our own choosing, and over an FM repeater rather than Skype. The answer
was yes. So, if their schedule doesn't fit you, do ask them, and maybe you
can get something going with your club. Neither instructor nor students need
to be or become cwops members. So far, nothing has come of these ideas in my
club. The requirements that students obtain paddles and keyers suitable for
sending at 20 wpm, and commit to attend the full series of lessons, may be a
strumbling block. Nevertheless I think the program looks great, and I would
be very interested to hear about the experiences of others that have
actually used the cwops program.

Another thought: For copy practice, you want to listen to speeds faster than
what you are currently comfortable with. That can be frustrating if there is
no way to compare what you caught with the full and correct text. Here is a
way to get that access to the corect answer. Participate in a contest such
as Field Day, where a given station's exchange is the same for every qso.
Find a station using the desired speed that is running CQ on a frequency.
Listen to a few of his qso's until you have copied his callsign and exchange
information (something like 3A SFL, which stands for class 3A in the Section
of South Florida; you should already know the corresponding info for your
own station). Once you are at that point, give him a call when he is done
with a qso. You know that it is time to call him when he sends something
like QRZ or FD or CONTEST. Don't send his callsign, only your own, and don't
bother with K or BK or variations thereof. It is ok to send at a lower speed
as long as you don't send any unneeded info in addition to your callsign.
Once you hear him send your callsign, send your own exchange information.
Etc.  Repeats are often requested by AGN (send it all again) or CLS (send
your class) or SEC (send your section). The qso is over when both stations
have sent R or QSL or some equivalent. The whole qso is so short that you
don't need to send your own callsign again at the end; when you sent it at
the beginning, that also counts as the end. The fact that you can take
plenty of time to copy his information, and that the information is short
and follows a predictable pattern, makes you comfortable communicating at a
speed higher than your normal capability, and meanwhile your brain is
getting used to the sound of high speed morse.

73,
Erik K7TV