I use an Ott-Lite, an even-spectrum light sold in art and office supply stores, great for kitbuilding and taking photos of small stuff too. In a pinch, a white LED light is also a very good light source - at worst some of them seem slightly bluish, most of the time the problem with lighting is too much yellow.

I also swear by having a dependable meter (fluke) and my AADE LC Meter for those cap and inductor jobs. The LC meter is a very easy kit, and costs $100, $130 or so if you order it built. When in doubt, check that part!

73 de Alex NS6Y