Good afternoon,

I was high on a ladder scraping my house and birding by ear when I began musing how listening is a learned skill. Perceiving the difference between a veery's call and that of a crow or a pileated woodpecker is simple; determining which species of finch is a far different matter.

The hours spent on my brother's Lafayette receiver learning how to hear the weak ones during fading, lightning crashes, and random noises taught me to listen thoroughly and over a period of time to discern the patterns. Teaching trained me to parse a student's halting question so I could craft an answer to help the class. Taking notes during a Nobel laureate's lecture on creating a Bose-Einstein condensate from his collection of rubidium atoms allowed me to ask pertinent questions afterward.

Truly hearing the facts from a seriously frightened victim during an emergency helped me call in the best and quickest assistance. However, asking a seemingly simple question of my wife and receiving a totally orthogonal answer is something no training will assist :)

Please join us tomorrow on:
   14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)
    7045 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

    73,
        Kevin. KD5ONS

-