Jim,

I think most K3 owners understand that. Those who call CQ during crowded band conditions also understand that their ears will take less of a beating when using a 1 kHz DSP bandwidth in conjunction with a 1 kHz roofing filter instead of the next wider roofing filter, which, in a K3 is often a 2.7 or 2.8 kHz filter. That's the wonderful thing about a K3, the owner can equip it according to his or her personal preference. My ears have taking enough beatings over the years from stations outside of the filter bandwidth pumping the AGC while using lesser receivers to know that I prefer a tight roofing filter bandwidth so that the stations outside of my DSP bandwidth have minimal effect on what I am hearing. I have used my "Field Day" K3 to call CQ during crowd banded conditions before and after I added the 1 kHz filter and have found the improvement well worth the price of the filter. Your mileage may vary.

73,

Bill - NA5DX