Until this thread I had no idea that signing /QRP was illegal in some
countries. I never log stations this way and I typically come back to a
station calling me by just sending just their callsign.  I have had many
stations "correct" me, adding the /QRP. Operating with 5 watts can be a
fun challenge. I have done it with good antennas and had amazing results
however I have never signed /QRP. I am sure that the majority of contest
stations that I worked could not care less what my power level was.

John KK9A

Walter Underwood wrote:
Wed Jul 26 19:04:37 EDT 2017

I know this OT string is getting long, but I looked this up in the current
IARU “Ethics and Operating Procedures for the Radio Amateur”, the Region 2
edition. Some nincompoop generated a PDF that doesn’t allow copying the
text, but my Safari browser ignores that bit, so I can quote it here. I’m
not sure how much of the formatting will come through, but the rest of
this message is copied from section II.9.16 of that document.

• Never send your call as ‘ G3ZZZ/QRP’, this is illegal in many countries
(e.g. Belgium). The QRP information is not part of your callsign, so it
cannot be sent as a part of it. In many countries the only permitted call
suffixes are /P, /A, /M, /MM and /AM..

•  If you are really a QRP station, chances are that you will be
relatively weak with the station you are calling. Adding unnecessary
ballast (the slash and the letters QRP) to your callsign will make it even
more difficult to decipher your callsign!

•  You can of course always mention during the QSO you a re a QRP
station, e.g.: ‘...PWR 5W 5W ONLY...’.

•  If you call CQ as a QRP station and you want to announce that during
your CQ, you can do it as follows: ‘ CQ CQ G3ZZZ G3ZZZ QRP A R’. Insert a
little extra space between the call and ‘ QRP’ and do not send a slash (
DAH DIT DIT DAH DIT) between your call and ‘QRP’.

•  If you’re looking for QRP stations specifically, call CQ as follows: ‘
CQ QRP CQ QRP G3ZZZ G3ZZZ QRP STNS (stations) ONLY AR’.

wunder
K6WRU