On 9/1/2017 7:01 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

> Naw, he just figured out a practical way to use it in smaller radios by
> the invention of the narrow bandwidth, very steep skirted "mechanical"
> filter to lop off the unwanted sideband (if you consider the radios of
> that day smaller - LOL).  The real use of SSB came when General LeMay of
> SAC adopted it for their world wide HF communications network and
> propagation conditions during that time were so good that it was almost
> impossible NOT to communicate anywhere you wanted to with SSB.

Do not forget the other two members of what we secretly and snidely
referred to as the "Friday Night Poker Club":  Barry Goldwater who got
the financing through The Congress for the SAC "Short Order" system, and
Arthur Godfrey who handled the public relations end of the program.
Brings back many memories.....

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402
"Skybird Skybird Do Not Answer"