      From: David Robertson <kd1na...@gmail.com>
 To: Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Monday, September 4, 2017 9:39 AM
 Subject: [Elecraft] Items you think you can depend on

Everyone,

 Over time we can grow complacent on many service items such as electrical
power, water and other services over time. Well that can be concerning as
many hidden changes can result in damage to your home and equipment.

Late late night I came in to my den and was closing down my ham station
when I notice my fault light on my KPA500 linear was on. I powered it down
and retired for the evening. This morning I powered up the linear (KPA500)
and at once I got a fault light and had a high voltage alert. I powered
down the linear and checked my input line voltage. It was 137 volts RMS! To
be sure it wasn't my imagination I rechecked the voltage with a different
meter with the same result. In checking the 220 volt outlet I measured 274
volts! My linear is set up for 220 volts operation and it was getting over
90 volts HV.

I alerted the neighbors and cut the main breaker to the house. I then
called the power company's service number and reported the problem. A short
time later they called me back and reported that a regulator in the local
sub station had "Stuck" and was reset. In rechecking my line voltage it was
118 volts on the low side and 236 volts on the high side.

In the 12 years we have been at this qth we found that our town's locally
run power company has been very reliable but this experience showed me that
it is not a bad idea to check your line voltage every once in a while.
73

--
Dave Robertson KD1NA

Message delivered to farrerfo...@yahoo.com