From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Clay Autery
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:42 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Radio storage cases

Yes, all true milspec cans have gaskets for water-tight fit...  However...

1) Note that all cans I have seen have a metal lip that overlaps on 2-3
sides, plus the latch, PLUS the pinned hinge.
2) IF you see to it that there is a conductive path via the top to the can
body via the hinge and/or latch(es), AND/OR add a bonding wire between the
lid and can,

...you have an effective electrical faraday cage up to the frequency whose
wave-length is smaller than the larges continuous gap between adjacent metal
surfaces at worst... AND because the on most cans the pulse would have to
turn corners or a 180 even then, still a pretty effective shield.

You could always test it yourself.  <smile>

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G

On 9/6/2017 1:31 PM, Dale Chayes wrote:
> The true military (metal) ammo cans are (supposed to) have a rubber gasket
between the top and the body. (Just checked one, it does.) Perhaps that
would allow some EM leakage?

> It would not be hard to scrape a bit of paint off and solder or silver
solder a ground strap (or foil) bridge between the lid and the body (perhaps
on the inside for durability) but I’m not sure if that solves the (potential
non?) problem?

> -Dale/KB1ZKD
>

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 14:00 , Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>
>> A military ammo box should work. They are pretty cheap, too. You could
buff off the paint to get good contact around the lid.

delivered to ebasil...@cox.net