Don's procedure in his doc works great.   But there is a gotcha that I
don't recall being covered.

The ALC meter algorithim "beats" with certain tuning tones and when that
happens, it makes the ALC meter ramp up and down in a fast oscillation.

This has been discussed on this list relatively recently.  I ran into it
last weekend.

The workaround is easy -- move the Tx frequency (shift click in the
waterfall) elsewhere until the ALC reading becomes stable, i.e. only the
last bar is flickering.  Then follow Don's advice.

73 de AI6KG