Bill, I am aware of Jim's innovative way of achieving center feed while
seemingly attaching the feeder to the end. It should be useful in some
situations. However, the thread creator wanted coverage of 4 bands with one
antenna, and my personal interest right now is also solutions that cover
serveral bands without adjustments and compromises. With that as the goal, I
see no theoretical reason to want center feed. Only by feeding at the end can
you get approximately the same impedance for each band, without moving the
feedpoint, for so many bands. (That said, if you compare reality side-by-side
to a map, reality tends to win. It would be interesting to compare side-by-side
to make sure that the high-ratio transformer isn't lossy enough to hurt
performance.) If you are looking at a single band, with a 1/2 wave vertical
wire. The current distribution should theoretically be the same whether we feed
it at the bottom or if we move the feed point to the center at the cost of 1/4
wav
 elength of additional coax plus the cost of the common mode choke (but there
may be another justification to have the choke anyway).  If one is willing to
compromise the requirement of covering several bands with very good match,
there is also the option of Off-Center-Feed, which can allow operation on
several bands, but the match on most or all bands will be a compromise that
likely forces the use of a tuner, similar to the situation with an end-fed with
9:1 impedance transformer. If you compare the OCF with the end-fed with 9:1
impedance transformer, it is not clear to me which one has the edge in
practical use (assuming both have the antenna wire suspended and shaped
similarly). For the OCF the results will depend on the selection of feedpoint,
and for the end-fed there is room for a wide range of wire lengths that are
non-resonant and should produce "medium impedance". One can easily find
suggestions online for both designs. However, it seems to me that the 9:1 fans
are
 more prone to use low elevations and shapes that reduce performance.

73,
Erik K7TV