Ed, I had a similar issue, I too have an early serial number k3. Elecraft
says my rig needs to go in for repairs, there are some old pins on boards
that they say need upgrading to solve the power output issue.  73, Barry
K6ST

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:57:05 -0800
From: Ed Schuller <eschul...@ymail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 err 12v

My tired old K3 (serial 1298) displayed this while I was on RTTY today. The
rig works at 10w and under, so I assume that this indicates an issue with
the power amp. I checked the book for possible other issues, but came up
with either bad connector seating or circuit breaker issues, neither which
seem to be the case.

I guess this means a trip back to the factory....hopefully turn around time
isn?t too bad....

73,
Ed K6CTA

Barry K6ST