This problem has nothing to do with setting the proper ALC level.  Both KB7Q
and I have observed this behavior after carefully setting up our K3s for WSJT-X
operation with the K144XV.  KB7Q found if he ran JT65 in USB mode the power
setting behavior of the K144XV was normal but if he ran in DATA A mode it was
anomalous.  I have had the exact same problem while running MSK144 in DATA A
mode.  Both of us observed the same “cure” as Kjeld: slight movement of the
power control restored normal power output.  Neither of us had this problem
while running SSB or CW.  The two K3 transceivers we made these observations on
were SN 7xx and SN 4611, which are widely spaced in date of production and
board revision levels.  When KB7Q upgraded to a K3S, using the same K144XV
module, the anomalous power setting behavior in DATA A mode did not occur.

I have a very strong suspicion that this problem is related to the new firmware
that is shared by both the K3 and K3S.  It works correctly in the latter case
but not the former.  Unfortunately I cannot revert to a pre-K3S firmware
version.

73
Gary, N7IR

Kjeld,

Are you driving the audio up to 4 bars on the ALC meter with the 5th bar
flashing?  This is the "zero ALC" point for the K3, KX3 and KX2
transceivers.

Without sufficient audio  The K3 will "power hunt", and that may be what
is happening.

Refer to the article on my website www.w3fpr.com.  Scroll the left
column down to the lat article and click on that link.

73,
Don W3FPR