Ken (K6MR) answered my question, it is a feature.  I still can not find this in
the K3s’s Owners Manual but Ken was 100% right.

Here is what he had to say

"It’s a feature.  It allows recording of the transmitted audio regardless of
the monitor level.  If you open Config -> Lin Out and tap 2, you’ll see t=xxx.
This is the level of the output.  Setting to zero should solve your problem.

Ken K6MR”

Thanks Ken!